My Dog Ate My Weed Edibles: Understanding the Risks and Taking Swift Action

Sometimes our furry friends can get themselves into some hilarious and totally unexpected situations. Imagine this: It’s a lazy afternoon while you are enjoying your favourite series on Netflix, thinking of enjoying some cannabis-infused edibles. Little do you know that your little furry friend also has his eyes on them! While you are distracted, your dog decides to snatch one! This quickly turns into a cause for concern, and action is needed. In this blog, we are going to talk about what to do if this situation happens, do follow along. 

What are Weed Edibles? 

Weed edibles are food products that are infused with Cannabis or CBD extracts, either containing the psychoactive compound tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or cannabidiol (CBD). These treats come in various forms such as cookies, brownies, gummies, chocolates, and more. Edibles offer a great alternative for those who don’t enjoy smoking weed, providing a discreet and convenient method to consume cannabis or CBD. Edibles come in different strengths, and can sometimes be quite potent. It is important to note that safe storage of your edibles is vital.

The Risks of Dogs Consuming Weed Edibles

Unlike humans, dogs are highly sensitive to THC, which is the psychoactive compound found in marijuana. Dogs also have an endocannabinoid system, which regulates various physiological processes and interacts differently with THC compared to humans. When dogs ingest THC, it can lead to a variety of adverse effects due to their heightened sensitivity. 

Let’s take a look at some common symptoms of THC Toxicity in dogs:

  • Disorientation and confusion
  • Altered behaviour
  • Lethargy
  • Dilated pupils
  • Vomiting / diarrhoea
  • Elevated heart rate

It is important to ensure protection of potential hazards our pets may encounter in our surroundings. If you are going to keep cannabis edibles around, be sure to put it in a safe place away from humans or pets that should not ingest cannabis. 

What to do if your Pet Eats your Weed Edibles

There are a number of ways that you can help your pet if they have got themselves into a sticky situation with some weed edibles of yours. Let’s take a look:

  • Check for Symptoms. Do a thorough check for the symptoms we listed above. 
  • Remain Calm. It is important to remain calm, even though you already want to go into panic mode. Remember, your pet needs you to be calm and avoid panicking yourself. 
  • Collect Information. Gather information about the type and amount of edibles consumed, as well as the dosage. 
  • Comfort your Pet. Your fur baby is going to need your comfort as they recover. Place them in a comfortable position. 
  • A drop of CBD. Yes, a drop of CBD oil will help to reverse the psychoactive or negative effects of THC and your pet should feel comfort within just a few minutes. Cannacopia has a range of products available for your furry friends. 
  • Contact your VET. If you feel that your pet is still not themselves after a drop of CBD, perhaps it is then best to contact your nearest VET and provide them with the information they require. 

Final Thoughts

As responsible pet owners and cannabis enthusiasts, it is our duty to ensure our pet’s safety from anything that could be harmful. We have learned a little more about edibles and what to do if one of our pets accidentally ingests them. It must be a huge stress relief to know that CBD counteracts the negative effects of THC, and therefore this can be used to reverse the psychoactive effects. Remember to seek help from a Veterinarian if your furry friend doesn’t seem to come around quickly enough in order to prevent any complications and ensure your pets well-being. Check out the CBD edible and pet range at Cannacopia.

The Writer's Cabin
The Writer's Cabin
Articles: 27